Sunday, August 25, 2013

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

(Continued)


In my previous blog post on this current theme, I mentioned the fact that, in the New Testament of the Bible, the Christian life has been pictured by the apostle Paul in terms of a race, possibly a chariot race in the context of the popular Roman sport of the day, as well as a running race in Hebrews 12, with the possible context being in reference to the Ancient Greek Olympic Games held in a stadium.
A further reference of Paul the apostle to the Christian life as a race is pictured in 1 Corinthians 9:24-26 (NIV) where he says: Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly.....
Again, the picture is of a well disciplined athlete who has the goal in view as he runs the race with purpose and passion in order to gain the prize. As stated by Paul, the runners in the Ancient Olympic Games ran in order to receive a perishable crown - usually a laurel wreath, but we run the Christian race to gain an imperishable crown. There are a number of verses relating to this in the New Testament.
As I stated in the previous Post, in any race, whether it be a foot race , a chariot race or whatever kind of race, for the participant to look back could be very costly. 
There are TWO ASPECTS of what Paul and Jesus, as well as the writer to the Hebrews (whom, by the way, many consider to also be Paul the Apostle), meant by NOT LOOKING BACK or FORGETTING WHAT IS BEHIND. The first of these I will address briefly in this Post.
     1. Looking back to the good things of the past when it stops us from seeing what God is doing now and what He is wanting to do in us and through us now, and where He is wanting to lead us in the future.
From my personal experience again, as outlined in my blogs "Chasing My On Air Dream" (Parts 1 & 2), I had the opportunity to fulfil a desire to be involved in Christian radio on air for a little over ten years, firstly in Christchurch, NZ, and then in Launceston when we moved to Tasmania. Then in 1992, the Lord closed that door. I enjoyed working in that environment, particularly when I was in Christchurch, where I also met and married my wife, Tessa.
In the period between leaving WAY FM in Launceston and moving to Hobart in the year 2000, I was unemployed for extensive periods of time. There were times when I seriously considered going back to the radio station, even if just on a part time basis. Even though I believed in my heart that God had closed that door, there was still at times a drawing back to that part of my life which, in reality was a hindrance to my forward progress in the purposes of God for my/ our lives.
Without going into detail of the circumstances, there was a period of one year when we were not, as a family going to church, between around 2003 - 2004. During that time, I did present a three hour music-based Christian program on Sunday mornings at Huon FM, a community radio station at a country town about forty five minutes drive from where we were living in Hobart's southern suburbs, and although it seemed that the Lord allowed me to do this, there was no discernible fruit from this "ministry" time. The only feedback, which was positive, was from three or four of the station's other volunteers.
In Ecclesiastes 3:1, Solomon wrote these words: There is a time for everything,
                                                                           and a season for every activity under heaven.
Sometimes it seems that there are seasons for even certain ministry activities where God's blessing rests upon us - that come to an end, and He beckons us to MOVE ON. Again, in my own experience, I played drums in churches in three Australian states where I have lived and also in two cities in NZ - spanning some thirty years. I also have led worship regularly in several of the churches I have been involved in. But it seems that season of my music ministry came to an end about eight or nine years ago, and although I would still love to have the opportunity to play drums and lead worship, that door appears to be firmly shut.
King David in Psalm 31:14,15 says: But, I trust in you, O Lord;
                                                               I say, "You are my God."
                                                               My times are in your hands.......(Emphasis mine)
To be continued.
To find out how you can become a Christian and discover a life with purpose and direction and Hope for now and the future, go to www.vision.org.au. Click on Resources at the top of page, then click on Christianity from the drop-down menu.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment